Thursday, October 26, 2006

To freeze or not to freeze

Visit a grocery store and you will find everything and anything in the freezer section. There are veggies, fruits, yogurt, readymade food. You name it and it's there. Yes we have heard time and again that frozen food is easy to use and saves you a lot of time and effort. But we are always not so sure of its quality. I still buy my spinach and sweet peas from the freezer section. But there are a few things that you can prep at home and freeze them.

For instance, you can freeze green chillies. I buy them from the market and put them straight into the freezer and they are good for even 2 months. I do the same with coriander. Wash the coriander, dry it on a paper towel, chop it and freeze it in plastic containers. Stays good for 3 months. And there are host of other veggies you can freeze too. I buy bell peppers, zucchini, carrots and even corn on the cob from the farmer's market at a very reasonable price. I bring them home wash them, cut them and freeze them. So atleast I can control the quality of the veggies I use. Nevertheless, fresh is the best anyday. But I stay 40 miles away from the Indian store. So the next best alternative is to freeze Indian veggies.

No comments: